Protein-Stuffed Bell Peppers
I love this recipe because it is gluten free, easy to make, can prep up to 5 easy-to-pack meals for your work-week, and because you can add or subtract almost any ingredient and still make a delicious dish!
Here is tonight’s recipe:
- 5 bell peppers
- 1 lb 96/4% lean ground beef OR 99/1% lean ground turkey
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 12 oz-16 oz of raw spinach
- 1/2 Can of any beans ( I prefer black beans, kidney beans, or white kidney beans)
- 10 tbs Tomato-less corn chili salsa (Trader Joe’s)
- 1 Cup LITE Shredded 3 cheese blend (Trader Joe’s)
- Line a pyrex dish with aluminum foil.
- Cut the tops off from 5 bell peppers (any color) and remove seeds. Bake peppers on top of aluminum foil for 20 minutes over 375 degrees. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Using non-stick cooking spray or olive oil, saute onions over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add raw ground beef or turkey. Chop beef finely, using spatula, as it cooks. Continue to stir beef or turkey and onions until the meat is almost entirely cooked through.
- I added the following spices, to taste: black pepper, paprika, red chile pepper, cayenne
- Add raw spinach. Slowly stir into mixture for 1-2 minutes, until soft.
- Add beans and tomato-less corn chili salsa. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn stove to “off position.” Add cheese and stir until the dish appears “sticky.”
- Stuff the 5 hollowed-out peppers with the sauteed mixture. If peppers have been cooling for a long time, then reheat them (after being stuffed) at 375-400 degrees for 5 minutes
- Enjoy your high protein, low carb muscle fuel!
Stay fit, stay happy, and stay healthy!